Re: Xwpe Mouse Icons

At 04:48 PM 4/28/02 -0400, Dennis Payne wrote:
> > Another request: can you make an option to eliminate all the silly pointer
> > icons? Just one icon will do. I always forget if I the hot-spot is in the
> > skull or in the bones...
>
>Does anyone like them?  I was just going to add the ability to remove
>them but after reading Havoc's article of GUI design:
>   http://www106.pair.com/rhp/free-software-ui.html
>It occurs to me that I should find out if anyone likes the pointers or
>if they should be removed althogether.

I don't mind them, but I also have the problem of knowing where the pointy
bit is.  I think the biggest problem with them is the images chosen.  If we
had a basic arrow with decorations, it might be clearer.  Getting this
right might be very difficult though; it may just be better to remove them
entirely.  If we have to err, that situation is far better.

>Also I'm planning on removing the "File->Add F.-Mng" ability, remove
>the "On Open: Close File Manager" option and make it always behave that
>way.  The remaining useless command line options (-nc,-nm, etc.) are
>potential chopping block victims.

I was the one who wrote the patch to add that, if I recall, because that's
the way I wanted it to behave, so it makes things even better for
me.  :)  I never really figured out what the Add F.Mng thing really
did...  The metaphor was incomplete.

>I'm also thinking of merging the X11 and Terminal color options.  That
>way if you set xwpe to some color scheme wpe automatically uses it.  Does
>anyone like the ability to keep seperate color options?

Do the colors render the same?  I worry that a color scheme that works
under X11 might look really bad under Terminal, and vice-versa?  Has anyone
experimented with this?

Kenn

Kenneth W. Flynn              | Graduate Fellow
flynnk@astro.umd.edu          | Department of Astronomy
www.astro.umd.edu/~flynnk     | University of Maryland