Re: customization

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Dennis Payne wrote:

> I don't know why that would be.  Perhaps another binary was found earlier
> in your path.

No. I ran it as ./xwpe in the directory I compiled in, so it couldn't
have been a previous version. Maybe I just messed up something.

> As a simple check change the version in edit.h that way when you popup
> the about box you know whether you're running the modified version.

I'll try that. Thanks for the tip.

> What should f9 and crew do?

F9: compile
CF9: compile and link
SF9: compile, link, run.

> Alt-f4 is probably the window manager not xwpe. Unfortunately if
> the window manager binds the key there is nothing you can do about it.

Exactly my point. That's why I want xwpe NOT to bind anything to
alt-f4, because in X it means kill and in text mode it just flips to
virtual console 4. Having to press esc f4 is too clumsy.

> What do you mean by programming mode?

Xwpe has two modes: text editor mode (when run as we or xwe) and
programming mode (when run as wpe or xwpe). These modes behave
differently. Text editor mode has no syntax hilighting and doesn't
have programming related stuff in the menus. BUT in addition to that
the modes have different key bindings for stuff that should be common
in both modes!

For example in text editor mode alt-x quits the program alltogether,
while in programming mode it just closes the current window within
the program. If I say QUIT I want to QUIT, not CLOSE, damn it! ;D

> Alt-x should exit if you are editing a file in xwpe or xwe.

It should? Then why the hell doesn't it? It did in some previous
versions, but not anymore. Where did all this inconsistency come
from?

Anyway, how about making the key bindings user customizable via the
config file? That would be great if I install xwpe on a multi-user
system where different users have different preferences.

-=[ Count Zero / TBH - Jussi Hämäläinen - email count@theblah.org ]=-