Re: xwpe -> want autoconf? (fwd)

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 10:32:06PM -0400, Dennis Payne wrote:
> > I have related suggestion on this:
> > instead of using tempnam, use mkstemp. This recommends many manuals, but
> > openbsd only warns about this :) So when hacking autoconf forxwpe 1.5.x,
> > what about adding check for mkstemp, and try to use first mkstemp, then
> > tempnam and if none is available, than xwpe internal function ?
>
> Are the "never use this function" in the linux man pages new?  Don't
> remember seeing them.  mkstemp doesn't quite do what xwpe needs.  It
> creates a file whereas xwpe creates a directory.  You could on course
> delete the file and recreate as a directory but then you "warn" users
> about the name you want allowing them to create it.  The only minus I
> see with mkstemp is that it is listed as conforming to BSD 4.3.
> Generally I look for POSIX or System V.  (Why?  No real good reason.
> System V is generally more POSIX like and BSD created that stupid
> bzero function.)

My apologies, i was talking in *BSD context of course. And i meant mkdtemp,
not mkstemp. This function is specific for *BSD. It's because bsd linker warns
about it is insecure, and it's better to do things right where there is way.

> BTW you might want to chose a different name than pedit.  There are
> several programs that use that name include a Programmer's Editor I
> believe.
I done search before and i believe that 'pedit' is unique. Programmer's
Editor is only long name which may be replaced by something else.

> (I haven't had a chance to look at your source yet or the question
> about one of the xwpe functions.)
Please ignore that question except last part (returning offset), i guess
it wrong.

Jan Dvorak <johnydog@go.cz>