Re: Xwpe 1.5.21a

Dennis Payne wrote:

> > In the last couple versions make fails for me because someone removed
> > the tests in the install target for preexisting target directories, and
> > when mkdir fails, make fails immediately without copying the files to
> > their destinations.
> > This is on SCO 5.
>
> All vendors should use GNU tools so that I don't have to deal with this.
> Guess I'll switch back to using ifs.

actually, I don't disagree.
Ever since we got this SCO Open Server 5.0.5 box, my favorite passtime
has been slowly, one program at a time, converting it to what basically
ammounts to a standard Linux distribution with a SCO kernel.

And since the application this box's existance is for happens to be
known to run without problems under iBCS2 I may end up just going Linux
all the way. I'm not too sure how the owner would feel if he had the
slightest clue what it is I even do here all day. Although, I have
already verified that Linux, on $400 worth of hardware outperforms SCO 5
by almost 2 or 3 times even though SCO is running on about $1500 worth
of hardware :)

The gnu software is also much zippier that the system equivalents even
when it's running under the sco kernel. You wouldn't *believe* the
difference between SCO X and Xfree86 compiled for SCO. and this is not
an old version of the OS, it the *current* version, albeit the current
version of a dying line, since sco puts all its attention on UnixWare 7
now, which was aquired from Novell and has a different lineage than Open
Server.

> > btw: is it just me or is "-1 for none" broken or otherwise a falsehood
> > wrt "column for comment to end of line" (the very last field in a syntax
> > def, which everyone seems to have set to 1000 for every language, me
> > included now)
>
> I noticed that as well when I was doing stuff with that.  Should have
> updated the doc.  Guess that falls under known bug 3. :)
>
> * Documentation hasn't been updated.

heh