Re: Perl of Wisdom

XWPErs,

I'm not sure this will work.  I haven't looked, but doesn't XWPE perform
the compilation from the working directory for the file, i.e. the directory
the file is in?  To have Javac perform correctly (if you are writing good
Java code...  you are, aren't you?  :) ), you have to execute it from the
top of the package hierarchy.  For example, suppose the fine folks at sun
decided to use XWPE to edit the java.net package.  The "Socket" file would
look like this:

===
package java.net;

import java.io.*;

public abstract class Socket
{
  //... Much stuff...
}
===

The file would be in:

/project/java/net/Socket.java

To compile this with javac, you must execute javac from:

~/project> javac java.net.*;

I think this will only work for java classes which aren't in
packages...  which if you're writing real java could, you really shouldn't
have.

I also believe in namespaces.

Ah, well, commence flaming...  (I don't know Perl, so if I missed
something, just a little charring to the left please?)

Kenn

At 09:54 PM 10/20/99 -0400, Dennis Payne wrote:
>Armin Voetter <e9426165@student.tuwien.ac.at> sent the following message
>unfortunately it bounced since the email address used wasn't the one
>he is subscribed with.

IMPORTANT: The below information has changed!  Please use the
email addresses below to contact me.
Kenneth W. Flynn              | flynnk@astro.umd.edu
Graduate Fellow, Astronomy    | flynn@nrl.itd.navy.mil
UMD (College Park)            | And 10 or so others...