Xwpe FAQ

The Xwpe FAQ

Version 1.00 (7/26/98)

1.  What is Xwpe?
2.  Why a FAQ?
3.  What systems does Xwpe run under?
4a.  Who maintains Xwpe, and where can I get more information?
4b.  What documentation is available?
5.  What's up with the German in the source?
6.  What is the long term plans for Xwpe?
7.  Who am I to write a FAQ?

1.  What is Xwpe?

Xwpe stands for the X Windows Programming Environment.  It is was written
to provide an integrated development under UNIX, similar to that provided
by editors like Turbo C++ (formerly made by Borland).  It runs in both a
text mode, and in an X window.  The text editor is referred to as Wpe, or
just We.  It is primarily used for writing code, as it performs such basic
tasks as syntax highlighting, in a small, somewhat efficient manner.

2.  Why a FAQ?

With Xwpe being distributed with every copy of Red Hat Linux, with newer
editions becoming more functional, easier to install, and easier to use,
and with the growing size of the Linux community, more and more people are
coming to use Xwpe.  And they have questions that deserve answers!

3.  What systems does Xwpe run under?

Xwpe is primarily developed and run under Linux.  All versions are pretty
much guaranteed to run under Linux, particularly Red Hat Linux.  However,
Xwpe has been successfully tested and ran under many other flavors of UNIX,
including Solaris, AIX, IRIX, and HP-UX.  If you find any bugs, please post
email to the mailing list, or to the maintainer directly.  See the next
question.

4a.  Who maintains Xwpe, and where can I get more information?

Xwpe is currently maintained by Dennis Payne, payned@rpi.edu.  For more
information, or to obtain the newest release, refer to the website:

http://www.rpi.edu/~payned/xwpe/

Or you can join the Xwpe maling list by sending an email to
majordomo@cs.rpi.edu with the body:

subscribe xwpe

unsubscribe xwpe

also check out an archive of previous messages from the mailing list at:
http://jab.org/mail/xwpe@cs.rpi.edu/  It is a good idea to check to see if
your issue has been discussed before posting to the mailing list.  This is
a development mailing list, as well as a general information list, so
patches and other modifications will be distributed on this list.

4b.  What documentation is available?

Not much.  If someone would like to write some...  Refer to the webpage or
this FAQ until such time as someone finds the time to do so.

5.  What's up with the German in the source?

Fred Kruse originally wrote Xwpe, and apparently he spoke fluent German.
Not surprising for a German native.  Unfortunately, he has chosen to resign
from the online community.  With no one maintaining Xwpe, Dennis took it
upon himself to start fixing some of the bugs with Xwpe, and he wanted to
distribute his patches, along with others made by fellow users.  And so,
the Xwpe-Alpha project was born.

6.  What is the long term plans for Xwpe?

Currently, various bugs need to be found and fixed. Additionally, the code
is not written in a maintainable manner, and a major reorganization of the
source is needed (any volunteers?).  And we all seem to think that Xwpe
should do this or that.  The primary goal of Xwpe is to provide a good text
editor tailored to writing programming code; anything in pursuit of that
goal is fair game.

7.  Who am I to write a FAQ?

My name is Kenneth Flynn, and I've been using Xwpe almost as long as Dennis
has.  And I was his roommate for 3 years, and with that kind of abuse...
Corrections or comments about the FAQ should be directed to me, at
flynnk@rpi.edu.  Flames should be directed at dulsi@identicalsoftware.com.